How Do I Cancel My Self-Assessment Registration if I Am Self Employed?

If you’re no longer self-employed this video will show you how to let HMRC know online.

It only takes a couple of minutes so let’s get started.

If you’ve stopped working for yourself you need to tell us as soon as possible otherwise HMRC will keep asking you to complete a tax return and if you don’t send one you might have to pay a penalty!

First of all get your government Gateway user ID and password ready – you’ll need them to log into HMRC online services then go to search stop being self-employed and choose this link then select ‘tell HMRC you are stopping self-employment’.

If you’ve recently signed into your government Gateway account you’ll be taken straight to the next page if not you’ll just need to sign in with your user ID and password.

Once you’re signed in you’ll then need to fill out this form make sure your address and contact details are correct.

To help you there are little question marks on the form which can give you more information about what you’re being asked.

Once you’ve filled in all the information on the form, select next which will take you to a summary.

Check your details and if you spot something isn’t correct just go back to change it.

Once you’re happy go ahead and select submit at the bottom of the page.
Now you’re all done and the confirmation page will show it’s been sent.

There’s no need to call HMRC & if they need anything else they will get in touch.