Accountants for Expats

Navigating the maze of UK tax regulations as an expat can be bewildering. The UK’s tax system is notorious for its complexities, especially for those who reside outside its borders. But here’s some good news: Dead Simple Accounting is your ally. We bring clarity to expat tax complexities, with personalised guidance and timely solutions.

Why Trust Dead Simple Accounting?

Expat taxation is a unique beast, and we’ve tamed it! With years of experience helping expatriates around the globe, we understand the intricacies of UK taxation for non-residents. Our jargon-free approach ensures you understand the ins and outs without the headache. Check out our rave reviews on Google and Facebook for insights from fellow expats.

The reviews speak for themselves

See what our clients have to say about us

You Have Questions, We Have Answers

Navigating tax affairs as an expat brings a myriad of questions. Here are some of the most common queries from expats just like you:

Am I considered a UK resident for tax purposes?

HMRC typically classifies you as a UK resident if you:

  • Have been in the UK for 183 days or more during a tax year.
  • Owned or rented a sole home in the UK for a minimum of 90 days and stayed there for at least 30 days.

What exactly is the double-taxation agreement (DTA)?

It’s an accord between two nations to prevent you from being taxed twice on the same income. A list of countries with a DTA with the UK can be found here.

What if my earnings are both in the UK and abroad?

For UK residents, HMRC taxes worldwide income. Both UK and foreign incomes should be declared on your UK Self Assessment tax return. Depending on the DTA status with the income source country, you might be eligible for tax relief.

What if I earn in the UK but I’m not a resident?

You are required to file a UK Self Assessment tax return, declaring only your UK income. DTA benefits might allow you to claim back UK tax paid, based on your home country’s agreement.

Remittance basis? Explain, please.

Opting for the remittance basis means you aren’t taxed in the UK on foreign income, provided you don’t deposit it into a UK account. Do note that you forgo your UK tax-free allowances when you choose this.

Non-domiciled person: what is it?

A “non-dom” is someone who lives in the UK but doesn’t consider the UK as their permanent home. The tax implications for non-doms can be quite distinct.

Do HMRC’s new regulations for high earners apply to me?

HMRC’s recent update specifies that PAYE high earners below £150k won’t need to file a UK tax return for the 2023/24 tax year. However, if you earned £100k or above in the 2022/23 tax year, a tax return is essential.

Need Some Further Help?

If you have further questions or require assistance concerning accountancy for expats, be sure to get in touch with us as soon as you can!

Send a message

Useful Resources

These days there’s an abundance of tools and resources at your disposal, software that handles your invoices and expenses, to mobile based banks that cut the boring paperwork.

We only work with the best of the best, and have partnered with several big names to offer you various goodies when signing up.

Accounts Software

Bank & Apps