What Work From Home Expenses Can I Include?

If you have business premises, you can claim for their running costs. These include – heating, lighting, rent, rates and insurance. 

If you also use your premises for any private use, you’ll need to adjust the amount you claim, so you only include the business proportion. 

If you run your business from home, you may be able to claim part of its running costs such as, heating, electricity, council tax, mortgage interest, rent and insurance. To do this, you’ll need to find a reasonable way of dividing the costs. 

For example, by the number of rooms you use or the amount of time you spend working from home. 

Or you may choose to use the simplified method to work out the allowable costs of working from home. This uses a flat rate based on the number of hours you work from home each month. You’ll find the rates and more information on GOV.UK