How Do I Register for Self-Assessment if I Am Not Self Employed?

If you’re not self-employed and need to send a tax return this video will show you how to register for self-assessment on

It only takes a couple of minutes to do this it’s also free, secure and saves having to print any forms so let’s get started.

Before you register go to and search check if you need to send a tax return follow the link and answer a few quick questions to help you decide if you need to register for self-assessment keep in mind that if HMRC has already asked you to send a tax return you must do this.

Here are some of the reasons you might need to register for self-assessment you’re a UK landlord earning more than a £1,000 from property, you claim child benefit and you or your partner earns over £50,000, you have capital gains tax to pay, you receive annual income from a trust or settlement, you have untaxed income that cannot be collected through your PAYE tax code, your income for 2022 to 2023 is over £100,000 where you pay tax through paye or over £150,000 for the 2023-2024 tax year onwards.

You can find out more about who needs to send a tax return on

The video goes on to explain how to create a Government Gateway login, & how to fill in the following form which asks you why you need to file a self-assessment tax return.